Or…thank God it’s not Monday.
We all switched from Standard Time Sunday morning to Daylight Savings time. Of the two, I much prefer Daylight Savings and if I had my druthers, I would prefer that we do not change back come Fall.
I’ve gone through the house and have changed all the clocks and the one in my Tahoe. I think the only one not changed is the clock in Mrs. Crucis’ Hupmobile. Job done…except…for me and Mrs. C.
An advantage of being retired is that you don’t need to set alarms in the morning. For forty years, more or less, I awoke at 6am, showered, dressed and went off to work.
A few years ago, I started working from home. All I needed was a broadband internet connection. My employer provided a laptop, TCP/IP phone and a VPN connection to the corporate network. When I worked from home, I told friends my daily commute to work was thirty steps down to my office from upstairs. When I worked from home, I changed my wakeup time from 6am to 7:30am. I just had to be on-line no later than 8:30am.
That was great. Since then, I’ve retired and it seems that each day, I wake up a few minutes later. With the time change last weekend, every clock and timepiece has changed…except for Mrs. Crucis and myself.
Time change is still a work-in-progress…[yawn.]
Obama is still sweating the spying his administration is doing through the NSA. He and the NSA hit a major speed-bump this week. The NSA lost a court battle to allow them to keep telephone metadata longer than five years.
I had read the article earlier this week. When I made a search this morning, I found no mention of the court decision from the major news outlets. Articles were there earlier in the week, where have they gone? The first article I found was from The Verge, not a major news outlet like CNN, ABC, NBC, CBS, WaPo. On reflection, those alphabet organizations aren’t news outlets any longer, having long devolved into liberal propaganda organs.
Here is the report from The Verge.
Court blocks government’s request to keep NSA phone records longer than five years
By Adi Robertsonon
The court in charge of overseeing NSA surveillance has nixed a plan to keep American phone records in government databases for longer than five years. In an opinion published today, Judge Reggie Walton said that privacy protection laws overrode the government’s argument that it needed to retain evidence for EFF and ACLU lawsuits, denying a request that the Department of Justice made in February. Such a move “would further infringe on the privacy interests of United States persons whose telephone records were acquired in vast numbers and retained by the government,” said Walton. “The government seeks to retain these records, not for national security reasons, but because some of them may be relevant in civil litigation in which the destruction of those very same records is being requested.”
The groups that might need the NSA’s evidence don’t actually want it
The FISA court, which made this ruling, has previously decided that the NSA can collect phone metadata in bulk but must destroy it after five years. The Department of Justice, however, pointed to a ban on destroying evidence that was pertinent to a court case. By that estimation, since the ACLU, EFF, and others have filed suit over the phone record database, that made it illegal to purge the records. It promised, however, to make the records unsearchable by NSA agents, ostensibly resolving privacy concerns.
This argument, however, didn’t convince the court. One point of contention was that the actual parties involved have expressed mostly confusion over the plan. In February, ACLU legal director Jameel Jaffer called the move a “distraction” from the real issues. “We don’t have any objection to the government deleting these records. While they’re at it, they should delete the whole database.” EFF attorney Mark Rumold, meanwhile, agreed “in principle” with the government’s request, but he expressed doubt it was acting in good faith. “It’s disheartening to see the government try to hold the privacy of all Americans hostage to score PR points,” he said.
In short, the groups that would be benefiting from having evidence retained didn’t necessarily want it, and the Department of Justice made only a perfunctory case for keeping it. “The government makes no attempt to explain why it believes the records” are relevant, said Walton. The rules for collecting data, meanwhile, are clear about the fact that it can only be kept for national security investigations. Granted, these rules have been very liberally interpreted in the past — the fact that all phone records are considered “relevant” to an investigation, for example, is highly controversial. But the court found that maintaining the database for a civil lawsuit didn’t fit the bill.
So why did it want the phone records in the first place? Walton said the request seemed to be motivated by “fear” that judges might censure it for destroying evidence, although he called that outcome “far-fetched.” As the EFF’s statement above implies, however, it’s possible it’s also an attempt to demonstrate that suing over an allegedly unconstitutional invasion of privacy will only cause more privacy violations.
A win for privacy. You may wonder why more hasn’t been made of this by the MSM? Perhaps it is due to another scheme of misdirection. Senator Diane Sweinstein, D-CA, wants an investigation of the CIA. Again, why? Because of possible CIA surveillance during the Bush years.
Yep, that’s right, whether it’s CIA spying or NSA data farming on our citizens, it’s all Bush’s fault.
Feinstein: CIA searched Intelligence Committee computers
By Ed O’Keefe and Adam Goldman,
The head of the Senate Intelligence Committee on Tuesday sharply accused the CIA of violating federal law and undermining the constitutional principle of congressional oversight as she detailed publicly for the first time how the agency secretly removed documents from computers used by her panel to investigate a controversial interrogation program.Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.) said that the situation amounted to attempted intimidation of congressional investigators, adding: “I am not taking it lightly.”She confirmed that an internal agency investigation of the action has been referred to the Justice Department for possible criminal prosecution. And she said that the CIA appears to have violated the Fourth Amendment, which bars unreasonable searches and seizures, as well as various federal laws and a presidential executive order that prevents the agency from conducting domestic searches and surveillance.
Ms Sweinstein didn’t bat an eye when the Obama administration bugged reporters and ransacked their offices. But, she can believe, despite having no proof, that Bush and his CIA bugged her and the Senate. That reminds me, the NSA still hasn’t answered the question whether they have been spying on members of Congress. Nor has Lerner testified before the House on the Obama administration using the IRS to oppress the Tea Party.
It’s just fine for Obama to spy and intimidate citizens, according to Ms Sweinstein. But let a myth appear and, “It’s all Bush’s fault!”
The closing topic today is one that applies to all levels of government. It applies to the city council who spend taxpayers money of frivolties like recreation centers, to County Commissioners in love with TIF, to Congressmen who vote for near Trillion dollar ag bills. Voters have a responsibility to remove legislators who waste taxpayer’s money.
RAHN: The responsibility to resist fiscally irresponsible politicians
Fiscal prudence must be carried from the kitchen table to the voting booth